Since the release of their 1st generation Vista, Jaybird positioned themselves as a leader in manufacturing top-quality Bluetooth earbuds.
Following the success of their first model, the company released Jaybird Vista 2, a true sequel that finds a sweet spot between comfort and durability.
Although the Jaybird Vista 2 retained the size and rigidity of its predecessor, it introduced a bevy of new features and tons of customization options.
It comes with a slightly upgraded earbud and case design, more refined sound, and an active noise cancellation feature to drown out any noise in the surrounding. We also love its IP68 water resistance rating, improved battery life, and Qi-wireless charging.
Of course, these wireless earbuds aren’t devoid of issues. The mediocre call quality and the Bluetooth stutters for when you are using a stationed device as well as drop-offs are the main deal-breakers.
Nonetheless, Jaybird Vista 2 still packs a punch and boasts everything indoor workout enthusiasts or outdoor sports adventurists would need. Here is our comprehensive Jaybird Vista 2 review detailing how these Bluetooth earbuds perform in various aspects.
Jaybird Vista 2 True Wireless Earbuds Review
- Military-grade build quality makes these earbuds durable, waterproof, and tamperproof.
- Long battery life gives you up to 24 hours of pulsating music when working out.
- ANC mode allows you to block outside noise, while SurroundSense mode lets you know what’s happening around you by letting in the background noise.
- Jaybird App gives you the freedom to customize your sound and enjoy some preset profiles.
- Bluetooth: 5.0
- Wireless Range: Class 2 standard range 10m/33ft
- Battery: Up to 8 hours (16 hours case)
- Recharge Time: 2hrs
- Charging: Through charging case with USB-C connector & Qi Wireless Charging
- Construction material: fabric covers, plastic, silicone
- Weight: 5.4 grams per bud, 48.2 grams with case
- Integrated microphone, controls
- Supports Jaybird Vista companion app
- Water resistance: IP68 for the earbuds and IP54 for the charging case
Factors That We Considered For This Review
Before jumping straight into the comprehensive review, these are some of the aspects we used for this review.
Features and Functions
Since the market is saturated with many wireless headphones, the list of features and functions are integral considerations when making your decision. In this review, we emphasize features that most athletes would consider.
The vast wireless earbuds in the market come at different prices. For this reason, this review examines whether the Jaybird Vista 2 true wireless earbuds provide value for your money.
Runners buy wireless headphones to enjoy listening to top-quality and flawless music when exercising. This is why we seek to understand how the Jaybird Vista performs and how it stacks against the competition.
Nobody expects their workout earbuds to last for days without losing power. However, runners want decent wireless earbuds that take them through the entire workout session and those that don’t take lots of time to charge.
Design and Comfort
The Jaybird models are renowned for offering secure and reliable fit. While the Jaybird Vista 2 adorns a similar design, it has introduced a few tweaks, which have made this pair perfect for all types of exercises.
Upon opening the box, you’ll find earbuds with a set of ear tips and wings to ensure they fit in a wide range of ears. Whether you’re running, walking, biking, or sitting, the earbuds feel solidly in place and comfortable.
Overall, the Jaybird Vista 2 earbuds feel a little heavier due to the introduction of the in-ear-motion sensors and the microphones initially present in the first model.
You’ll also note that Vista 2 boasts a more textured finish on the outside. This new feature is dubbed the WindDefense fabric, and it’s aimed at protecting the earbuds from wind interference when taking calls.
We also loved the highly responsive tap and touch-sensitive controls on the outside of the bud. These allow you to reject calls, pause the music, skip tracks, switch to ambient mode, or cancel exterior noise.
Jaybird has also coined “earth-proof” durability to reiterate how solid and robust the Vista 2 is. Rated with IP68 for water resistance, these wireless earbuds can survive being submerged in water. Furthermore, the charging case is rated with IP54, meaning it can resist slight rain splashes and sweat.
However, this pair is not meant for swimming or showering since the lack of built-in storage means the Bluetooth won’t work well underwater. But you can rinse it with water without spoilage, and it will definitely fend off vapor, sweat, and rain.
Vista 2 true wireless earbuds are also rated with MIL-STD-810G, meaning that they are crush-proof, drop-proof, and dustproof.
Another highlight of this pair is the raised surface on the R and L, which makes identifying the earbud easy, primarily for visually impaired people.
You’ll also love the aesthetically appealing set of LED lights that alerts you when the wireless earbuds are in Bluetooth pairing mode and when the battery is running low.
Sound and Audio Performance
The Vista 2 delivers a more balanced and noticeably louder sound out of the box than its predecessor. And since this pair is not designed for critical listening sessions, its audio profiles emphasize the lows and reduce the irritating loudness to deliver a clearer and punchier listening experience.
Additionally, athletes can leverage the Jaybird’s app and tweak the multitude of equalizers and controls to get the best audio output.
Switch the wireless earbuds from the “flat” EQ (default EQ mode) to the Signature EQ profile and enjoy improved dynamic range, detailed midranges, and high frequencies.
Workout freaks can also toggle the sliders on the app and adjust the base, base range, treble, and low midrange for a customized sound.
Noise Control and Isolation
The Jaybird Vista 2 does an excellent job regarding noise reduction, control, and adjustment. With the cutting-edge ANC feature, the earbuds isolate passive noise pretty well. It reduces the outside noise interference to an extent where somebody has to stand directly in front of you to get your attention.
You’ll also love the SurroundSense technology that allows you to choose what you need to hear when you need to. To switch from the ANC mode to SurroundSense mode, you’re required to double-tap the earbuds. This brings back the worldly sounds to ensure that you stay safe on the road or in the wild.
So, apart from canceling external sound disturbances, the Jaybird Vista 2 also allows you to switch on the background noises to ensure that you’re are safe and aware of what is happening in the surrounding.
One of the noteworthy upgrades of the Jaybird Vista 2 is battery life. The pair promises up to 8 hours of uninterrupted music on a single charge, which is longer than the original model.
However, Vista 2 lasts that long when noise reduction is off. Once you activate the ANC mode, the battery will last for 6 hours. Additionally, the earbuds’ case has enough juice to give you extra 16 hours.
Overall, when fully charged, these wireless earbuds can last you for 24 hours if you don’t blast to total volume and activate the ANC mode.
If you’re in a hurry, fast charging gives you an hour of battery life in 5 minutes. For those with a Qi wireless charging pad, you can also charge the Jaybird Vista 2 wirelessly.
What We Liked
- Noise Isolation. Even without the noise cancellation feature, the Jaybird Vista 2 can passively reduce a significant amount of outside noise. And once you activate the ANC mode, it combats much of exterior interference, especially the low-frequency sounds.
- Longer Battery Life. The Jaybird Vista 2 gives you eight hours per charge (6 hours with ANC mode on) and 16 hours in the charging case. Additionally, the Qi-wireless charging and quick charging make this pair highly sustainable.
- Earth-proof Durability. Made from military-style materials, the Jaybird is genuinely a solid and rigid pair of wireless earbuds. The Vista 2 IP68 water-resistant rating (IP54 rating on the case) and the MIL-STD-810G rating make the pair water-, shock-, dust-, drop-, and sweat-proof.
- Cutting-edge Features. Apart from the ANC noise cancellation, the Jaybird Vista 2 boasts other exciting features that allow you to tailor the sound the way they like. These include the Customizable EQ and controls, SurroundSense, double-tap feature, and “Find My Earbuds.”
- The Jaybird App. Since it’s among the first companies to introduce a companion app for its Bluetooth earbuds, the Jaybird app provides an endless list of killer features for Vista 2 users. You can operate various functions from the app, including adjusting controls, changing the modes, updating firmware, activating the ANC and SurroundSense, and more.
What We Didn’t Like
- Poor Call Quality. Jaybird Vista 2 delivers exceptional quality when you’re in calm indoor or outdoor locations. However, slight wind or excessive noise can totally obliterate and deteriorate the call quality. This is somehow confusing since the earbuds claim to have a WindDefense Fabric for wind protection.
- Bluetooth Issues. Jaybird has an excellent wireless range, but it falls short when compared to the competition. Additionally, these wireless earbuds suffer from occasional stutters and random drop-offs when you put or take the phone out of your pocket. Moreover, it doesn’t support multipoint connection, meaning you can’t connect the earpiece to multiple devices.
Jaybird Vista 2 True Wireless Earbuds Comparisons
Jaybird Vista 2 vs. Jabra Elite Active 75t
These two come with an ergonomic earbuds design, hence more comfort. However, the presence of ear fins makes the Jaybird Vista 2 more stable. You’ll find a feature-rich EQ app and the ambient mode on both, but Vista 2 has added the ANC noise cancellation feature for better sound quality.
Water resistance and durability are similar, but Vistas edges the Jabra Elite Active 75t by incorporating a splash-proof case as well. Vista gives you 8 hours per charge when it comes to battery life, while Elite Active 75t’s 7 hours offers only 7 hours.
Out of the box, Vista 2 comes with a relaxed sound signature compared to the Jabra Elite Active 75t, which has more bass. Both allow users to tweak and customize the sound using their companion apps.
Jaybird Vista 2 vs. Beats PowerBeats Pro
Although PowerBeats Pro shows excellent stability and comfort due to the ear hooks, it lacks water protection on its charging case like the Vista 2.
Unlike the Vista 2, PowerBeats Pro lacks noise cancelation and ambient modes, doesn’t have customizable controls or EQ, and uses a lightning connector to charge instead of USB-C.
However, the PowerBeats Pro’s H1 chip allows it to support multipoint connection. It also offers a more extended battery life of 11 hours compared to Vista’s 8 hours.
You’ll relish quality sound from the two, but Jaybird Vista 2 allows you to toggle with controls for better sound quality.
Jaybird Vista 2 vs. Samsung Galaxy Buds Pro
Although the Samsung Galaxy Buds Pro isn’t primarily targeted to the fitness niche, it boasts cutting-edge features that make it ideal for runners.
For starters, the Bud pro comes with an IPX7 waterproof rating, which is nearly similar to Vista’s IP68. Additionally, both allow customization via their companion apps.
Like the Jaybird Vista 2, the Samsung Galaxy Buds Pro comes with ANC mode for noise cancellation.
However, it lacks the Surround Sense mode, which lets runners hear what’s happening around them.
Regarding the battery life, the Vast 2 lasts up to 8 hours on a single charge compared to Samsung Galaxy Buds Pro that lasts for 5 hours.
If you fancy true wireless earbuds that deliver energetic sound, longer battery life, unmatched craftsmanship, and top-of-the-class customization features, the Jaybird Vista 2 is a worthy choice.
The pair is stable and comfortable, but it also comes with customizable controls, ambient and active noise cancellation modes, and durable build that’s resistant to dust, water, and shock.
The Jaybird Vista true wireless earphone delivers pulsating sound suitable for all your indoor and outdoor workouts.
However, you’ll have to bear with the mediocre call quality if you want to add this accessory set into your arsenal.
Marko Rakic is a trail runner and fitness enthusiast from Sydney, Australia. He is the lead writer for The Ultimate Primate and believes the best way to live a happy life is to take a holistic approach to fitness and health.