Zac Efron is an American actor and singer, best known for his role in Disney Channel’s High School Musical and hit film, Baywatch. He has always been in perfect shape and a highly appealing physique over the years.
Now truly a millennial icon, Zac had a wonderful transition from being a teen heartthrob to becoming one of Hollywood’s most sought-after actors. He even turned into a wellness activist and launched a youtube channel called Gym Time.
With his hit film Baywatch, we all clearly saw how great his body’s transformation was, and there’s no wonder why his name is always included when ladies talk about men with great physiques.
To find out what training and diet plan he had gone through to achieve what most of you ladies may call ‘hunk’ bod, let’s dive into everything he did to build his physique.
Who is Zac Efron?
Born on October 18, 1987, in San Luis Obispo, California, Zac Efron is David Efron and Starla Baskett’s son. When asked about his childhood days, he always described it as a “normal childhood” that came with a middle-class family.
Zac began his acting career as being part of the school’s theater class. Then, he went on to join and became a guest star to multiple television series such as Firefly, ER, and The Guardian. These guest roles had led him to get his first-ever full-time role in the TV series Summerland season two.
After the initial success of Summerland, and of course, with Zac’s charisma, it led him to break out another role in Disney Channel’s High School Musical— a film which you and I know of, our children know of– basically, a very popular film.
Since then, he became prominent and renowned among the teenager and younger crowd.
The High School Musical Trilogy’s huge success was the one that laid a great foundation for his career and steady acting works in Hollywood. But one of Zac’s iconic characters that he played was his role in the film Baywatch. In playing his role, there was a great transformation of his body, turning into such perfect men’s physique.
Some even say it was such a one-of-a-kind ideal body that the world had ever seen. With all of his recognitions, he became a fitspiration to many people, especially watching his Instagram workout post and a Youtube series called “Gym Time.”
Zac Efron's Workout Plan
As mentioned above, during his film Baywatch, his body turns into a shredded physique with six-pack abs. To achieve such a body, Zac Efron’s main feature in his workout was super setting. He performs two exercises, back-to-back and no rest in between.
His exercise saves some time, but it also works double as cardio and can help burn more calories and strengthen the “pump” that energizes more nutrition-filled blood into his muscles for fast growth.
More than that, some of his exercises are considered explosive since it is vital in building speed and agility with his muscle tissue. You can perform his workout for three months. In the entire 12 weeks, he performed exercise in 3 days with one day off fashion.
Here is the detailed workout routine of Zac Efron. All of these workout training helped Zac to build his muscles. In each workout, he ensures to do 40-60 seconds supersets.
- His training days are separated into two sets; Mon- Wed and Friday- Sunday.
- His rest time: 60 seconds
- His training method: Supersets
Zac Efron's Workout: Back and Biceps
- Dumbbell Pullover- 3 sets, 8-12 Reps
- One Arm Dumbbell Row- 3 Sets, 8-12 Reps
- Pull Up – 3 Sets, 8-12 Reps
- Seated Cable Row- Sets, 8-12 Reps
- Lat Pull Down- 3 Sets, 8-12 Reps
- Inverted Row- 3 Sets, 8-1 2 Reps
- Chin Up- 3 Sets, 8-12 Reps
- Drag Curl- 3 Sets, 8-12 Reps
Zac Efron's Workout: Legs and Core
- Hack Squat – 3 Sets, 8-12 Reps
- Bodyweight Jump Squats- 3 Sets, 8-12 Reps
- Leg Curl- 3 Sets, 8-12 Reps
- Exercise Ball Leg Curl- 3 Sets, 8-12 Reps
- Walking Lunge- 3 Sets, 8-12 Each
- Romanian Deadlifts- 3 Sets, 8-12 Reps
- Seated Calf Raise- 3 Sets, 8-12 Reps
- Standing Calf Raise- 3 Sets, 8-12 Reps
- Sit Up – 5 Sets, 15 Reps
- Oblique Crunch- 5 Sets, 12-15 Each
- Lying Floor Leg Raise – 5 Sets, 15 Reps
- Plank- 5 Sets, Timed Failure
Zac Efron's Workout: Chest, Shoulders, and Arms
- Dumbbell Floor Press – 3 Sets, 8-12 Reps
- Push Up- 3 Sets, 8-12
- Incline Bench Press- 3 Sets, 8-12 Reps
- Lateral Raise- 3 Sets, 8-12 Reps
- Standing Overhead Press- 3 Sets , 8-12 Reps
- Band Pull Apart- 3 Sets , 8-12 Reps
- Machine Fly- 3 Sets, 8-12 Reps
- Push Up- 3 Sets, 8-12 Reps
- Triceps Dip- 3 Sets, 8-12 Reps
- Hammer Curl – 3 Sets, 8-12 Reps
Zac Efron Core Workout
Zac is also performing some core workouts. Typically, this exercise consists of doing circuit routine activities like leg raises and wood chops. Weight exercise consists of leg lifts, ab roller, crunches, multiple variations of planks, and many more.
Zac never ended his everyday workout routine without a good old stretching routine. This helps his muscles to feel more relaxed. He loves performing stretches and frequently uses a roller to target all the sides and back muscle areas.
Zac Efron Workout Tips
Focus + Consistency = Results
- Efron emphasizes that consistency is the key to achieve a perfect physique. He added that regular exercise is also very effective in toning and building muscle.
- One way of improving efficiency levels is working out with peers.
- Patience is the key in the overall fitness results, as it will take time to be accomplished.
Moreover, deciding the kind of physique you want to achieve is also essential. You must create and visualize it in order to put it into practice. Find out what type of body you want and how you want to feel once you achieve such a body.
The more focus you put, the easier it will be to create and achieve the body and results you want. Stay focused on strictly following your diet plan and everyday workout routine. Your body is like a science equation, and if you put the essential and accurate inputs, you’re going to get the right results you want.
Zac Efron's Diet Plan
Zac Efron’s personal trainer was Patrick Murphy when he was preparing for the film Baywatch. In the full training, he followed the all-organic whole-food diet. According to his trainer, it was a celebrity-approved and time-tested diet.
Before diving into what specific foods a great Zac Efron eats, his trainer changed his diet every two weeks, both the calorie intake and ratios between fats, proteins, and carbs intake. Despite no certainty about whether Efron partook in the intermittent fasting regimen, it is no surprise if Murphy had recommended this method to Zac.
Efron’s diet is all lean, all-natural, and healthy. He is also drinking at least 100 ounces of water per day. To be more specific, Zac’s diet consisted of the following foods:
- Chicken – Every serving consists of 55g organic chicken breast. It is a source of clean protein.
- Turkey Breast – The same with chicken, turkey, is also a great source of protein. But Zac’s stick to eating this food with low-sodium varieties and avoid eating deli meats.
- Pork Loin – It might be surprising, but pork loin can also come in lean and mean. If possible, it is better to consume Pork loin with no extra sodium or any unwanted preservative.
- Fish – Zac’s diet also consists of proteins and omega-three fatty acids.
- Steak – Yes, Zac’s die also comes with a juicy steak. But he just sticks to eating meat with lean cuts and from healthy potions. And there should be less butter or oil when preparing for steak. This way, you’ll be getting more nutrients, including protein, iron, and B12 vitamins.
- Egg Whites – egg whites are always present as part of the diet plan of most bodybuilders. It can help them become stronger.
- Brown Rice – brown rice comes with healthy carbs and also somewhat rich in protein.
- Quinoa – This food consists of every essential amino acid that our body needs; plus, it is also a popular source of carbs and protein.
- Oats – This food is rich in fiber and comes at a lower price. It also takes some time to be fully digested, thus slowing down the body’s absorption of carbs.
- Nuts – Zac Efron also adds nuts to his diet. It can be either almonds or walnuts as it is rich in fiber and healthy fats. It is also full of other nutrients. Just ensure to monitor how many grams you intake, as Zac’s did.
- Seeds – Like nuts, seeds are also a good source of good fiber, good fat, and other essential nutrients.
- Avocado – This food is rich in good fat and Omega 3 fatty acids.
- High-Fiber Fruits – Zac’s added this to his diet plan as berries like strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries help burn calories. Plus, apples and pears are also a good source of fiber and electrolytes, essential for the body.
- Vegetables – Zac’s eating vegetables as much as possible but just don’t eat carb-heavy and starchy vegetables like potatoes.
Moreover, Zafron is also using supplements like multivitamins and protein shakes. It helps him to fuel his gains and muscles.
Zac Efron's Foods To Avoid Eating
To achieve a perfect physique like Efron, you should also avoid eating junk foods as he did. Avoid eating foods rich in sugar, carbs, and greasy pizza. He avoids eating pasta, rice, bread, cereal, alcohol, flour, and sugar.
Zac claims that what majorly helped him achieve the great physique he has today is ZEN foods or Zero Effort Nutrition. This is a company that prepare foods and put meals together
When you decide to follow his routine and diet plan, please note that it is still a highly individualized goal. As Zac Efron says, “The more you learn, the more your workouts evolve and change.” And it follows, the more you get to know and understand your body.
Marko Rakic is a trail runner and fitness enthusiast from Sydney, Australia. He is the lead writer for The Ultimate Primate and believes the best way to live a happy life is to take a holistic approach to fitness and health.